Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just a good day. . .

So I got hired at my school back in October. I was originally at a different school in the first grade, numbers at the school fell, and the principal there talked me up to the principal at this school, and wa la. . . I got a new job. At the time, the vice principal was on maternity leave. I heard horror stories about this woman though. People said that she is so picky in everything that you do, and makes the job just a lot more stressful. Im not gonna get into details, but it made me nervous to meet her. . . I mean- REALLY nervous. She is over the second grade at the school meaning she is in charge of my observations. Well- she came back after Christmas break and showed up in my classroom unannounced for forty five minutes- just sitting there, taking notes. She found me at lunch and told me that she wanted to talk after school. So I nervously waited to go see her after school and the time inevitably came.

Who would've guessed that the woman would love me though? She told me I was doing a great job. She was impressed with my lesson and control of the class etc etc and even asked if I wouldn't mind having some of the newer teachers coming in and observing me teach? It was crazy. . . but good crazy. It was like this whole weight was lifted off of me. Since then, things have been so much more relaxed for me, switching districts was quite the change on me and I often have felt that I have started over, that it's my first year all over again.

I love what I do, and I feel I am good at what I do. I heard such bad stories about this woman, I had eventually decided that it was a certainty that she wouldn't like me and I would just have to deal with that. It made me unhappy though because I put so much into what I do. I arrive to work an hour early and stay several hours late. . . it just felt that it would seriously bring me down knowing that someone did not respect all the time I put into this job.

Anywho. that was last week. Today I was in class once again and here she comes plopping herself down into my classroom to observe once again. I tried to go on in a typical way, but anyone who is a teacher can understand the uncomfortableness of having someone over you sitting there watching your every move. Kids are random, and kids can be boogers, and often they choose to show those sides of themselves when other people are unfortunately sitting in. But my class of little boogers were great today, and upon her leaving she left a sticky note on my desk saying:

"I love to see you actively teaching during my observations! Glad you're @ Givens!!"

And small, silly little notes like that. . . truly make my day!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Way to Kiss Butt Shawn

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

Congratulations! I like hearing (reading) good stories like that.
Tate