Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Perks of Being a Teacher

Everyone probably thinks that they know what the perks of teaching are. Of course there is the summer vacations-- that's a given. . . Then there's the sentimental reasons. . teaching our future leaders, seeing the light in their eyes when they understand something they didn't before. . . blah blah blah. . . I think everyone is well aware of those obvious reasons. . but what I am here to talk about today is something different. . . something that probably is not thought about much before becoming a teacher (I sure didn't!), what I am here to talk about today. . . are holidays.

Below is a picture of an adorable present I got from one of my students for Valentine's Day. It is a fatty cookie decorated with a fatty amount of frosting in the shape of the beloved Cookie Monster. This is just one, of the many random and yummy treats I got this past Friday from my class of little second graders.



What's funner than actually getting all of these scrumptious treats? Seeing how excited they are to give them to you. My students were walking in in the morning and would hand me a bag. . . "these are the Valentine's for our class," (then a big beaming smile comes across that little face) and THIS is for you! And they would present me with a big bag of goodies. . . or a big heart shaped box of chocolates that you just know they got to pick out for you themselves. It is so very cute.

Valentine's is not the only day that this scenario occurs. . . we have Christmas, teacher appreciation week, and last days of school that all include the same presentation of some kind of fabulous present from the heart of an eight year old.

I know that there are many people out there that are not exactly fond of Valentine's Day. . . what I say to that. . . go become a teacher. . . because when this day of the year rolls around, there is never any doubt in your mind, that you are not one very loved person. :)

Hope you all had a fantastic Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Terry and Gail said...

I so loved your comment about how kids love to surprise their teachers.. and how to really get a handle on how important holidays are. Good job and good observation. Love, Aunt Gail