Thursday, February 19, 2009

Randi Comes to Visit!

As you all probably know, President's Day fell over Valentine's weekend this year. Since it was going to be a longer weekend, my best pal Randi drove down from Utah to visit me! She just recently got a new car so I am not sure if she really came to see me, or just wanted to test out the new wheels on a road trip. . . but either way, it was fun having her in town.

A little background on the Randi and Shawna history will make this story a little more interesting. We met up at BYU 4 years ago. Randi was the roommate of my friend Jenae. Jenae and Randi lived with some other girls that year and overall the whole apartment had major tension issues and though I met Randi maybe once, I never really talked to her. The following year however, we both happened to move to the same apartment complex and sure enough, jenae, myself, molly, and kellie, (we were the inseperable little foursome at that point) were put in the same apartment as Randi and her friend (and another former roommate of Jenae's, Lori). The six of us lived together for several months, but our two little groups rarely mixed company. We didn't fight. . . but we weren't real chummy either. The weekend before Valentine's Day, (6 months after moving in together), on a Friday night, I was frantically trying to put a Valentine's Day present together for my friend to ship off the next morning (I dont know why I leave these things until last minute). All my other friends had plans that evening, as well as Lori, therefore it was just gonna be Randi and I home that night. I had some shopping to do for the present, so I sporadically asked Randi if she wanted to tag along. She said sure. Later we have laughed as we reminence on both our feelings after she had agreed to come ("What in the world am I gonna talk to her about all night when we are driving in the car together??") But we somehow made it through the awkward evening and it was the beginning of a very good friendship.

Now- three Valentine's Day's later... Randi drove into town to find her friend Shawna, once again frantically trying to put together a last minute Valentine's gift. Once again, we drove around town to several stores. Once again we worked late into the night, and early in the morning finishing up some crafty project I thought up just a few hours later than I should've. Once again, I got a chipper Randi who did no complaining whatsoever, and was a good sport about the whole thing (including a 3 am delivery (4am in the time zone she came from!)



Not only did she participate in Valentine creations, she did her friendship "duty" by being dragged along on a double date on Valentine's Day. We went and saw Phantom of the Opera, (which was so way good by the way). I don't really think it took much convincing to get her to go, but it was still greatly appreciated.

So this is for you--- Happy Friendship Anniversary Randi!! How would I ever survive Valentine's Day without you??


Obviously I realize with sharing that story, that I will probably get the "Who was this Valentine for?" question that is bound to arise considering I kind of keep the dating stories out of my little blogging world. Well. . . I'm really not gonna share much. I will tell you this however. . . that his job relates closely with birds (pigeons to be exact), and he is very fond of those pesty little buggers, so that is why my random bird cage present is such a stinkin cute gift. I still smile everytime I see it. If you can't tell. . . me and Randi put a whole birdcage together that we made out of pink popsicle sticks- and inside. . is "The Pigeon" from the adorable pigeon book series. (Dont mind the picture, it was way past my bedtime). Random. . . but cute!



3 comments:

Randi said...

Shawna you are such a good friend! Thanks for remembering our anniversary :) And I planned the visit before I bought the car so you know I was coming to see you.

The Short Family said...

So remember when you helped me make the can for Cody and I was so scared to give it to him? Good times! You are so crafty too by the way. I am glad you girls had fun!

Bonnie said...

Remeber how I really know nothing about this relationship you are in??? HELLO!!