Monday, November 28, 2011

For Thanksgiving this year, we started a new tradition. . .

Pie contest!!
The contestants:
Bonnie and Aubs went all out. . . homemade crust, new pear pie recipe. . . the works

Shawna had it a little easier. One of my sweet students (ok- lets be honest- one of my sweet parents) gave me a pie in a box: Homemade apple pie filling, the crumb mixture for the top, and the caramel sauce to drizzle on top of that. All I had to do was provide the delicious nilla wafer crumb pie crust and pop the whole thing in the oven!

Last minute entry- Cayden. After a silly orange/honeycomb pie failure, we booked it to Vons to grab a premade oreo crumb crust, filled it with some kind of ice cream that was chilling in the freezer, and covered the whole thing in the instant freeze chocolate. A ten minute pie for sure.

And Mom. . . she went to Costco...

Cayden got all into it. Immediately after dinner he got to work making ballots and a ballot box. Though he did refuse to put mom on the ballot. Something about store bought pies not being allowed.

Then a couple hours (and quite some nagging from Cayden) later, our stomachs had finally settled just enough to dig in to our very own "sample" plates.


It was a tough decision...
They were all so good!
(no worries- mom still got a write-in vote)

And the winner was declared. . .

But what does it really matter WHO won? It was the fun of the contest right?


Though I must say, I almost wept when my pie was gone. It was meant to be the winner.

I forsee this tradition living on in the future Kelly Thanksgivings. . .

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love the winner picture lol. He is a strange kid! Def a new tradition . . . maybe we will have to throw the whipped cream mess one out :) I am SO winning next year - gonna spend all my free time perfecting that dang pie

Debi said...

Nice! I like your guys traditions. It is always fun to find a new one as well. I haven't made too many traditions in my little family.....I need to find some good ones. Any suggestions? Loved your pie.

Jim and Lee said...

We're going to need a book to keep track of all these traditions! Nice post. Dad

Terry and Gail said...

The kind has to win... it might damage his fragile ego if he lost!!!! Great pictures and great traditions and thanks for sharing. Love, Aunt Gail

James Pereira said...

Hi, u hv a nice blog. I invite u to visit my blog true-shapherd.blogspot.in Thanks.