Friday, August 22, 2008

My Horrid Week

I can say nothing other about this week than it has been an adventure. It definitely had some ups and some downs, and some more downs, and even some more downs, but I am hoping that the worst is behind me and things can only get better.

I will start with my job. Because I waited so long to get my butt in gear actually looking for a job in the LV area, the district had been put on a "hiring freeze." Basically, until official school numbers come in on the official "count" day, they are not technically allowed to hire any more teachers. Some schools, however, are pretty sure that they will need a teacher so they hire a "long term sub." Basically its not a guaranteed position, but they make a class for that teacher, and hope that by count day they have the numbers needed to keep that teacher as the real teacher. Well that is what I was hired for. My application to teach in the district had all been approved so I thought, how hard is it to get hired as a sub? A lot harder than one might think! To make a long story short, I drove back and forth to the district office about a bazillion times which I might add, is in the middle of the freakin city, taking approximately 45 minutes one way just to get there. Then you wait in line, get finger printed. Go to the State education office, to find out you have to go to yet another place to have another set of fingerprints taken! These places dont take check or CC either, you need to find a 7-11 to get a money order for a bunch of money that you dont have cash for so you have to go get cash so you can go back and buy that money order. Back to the district office to learn that the next thing that needs to be done can only be done on Fridays! Squeeze in two visits to the dr. for a shot, then the checkup of the shot. . . It was the lengthiest process I could possibly imagine and by the end of the week I was seriously considering just going back to California to crawl under a hole!

But somehow, I got it all done. Somehow I got a classroom decently set up for a "meet the teacher day" that I was not informed of until 2 days before when all the district crap was still an issue. Meanwhile, the water heater in the house broke and drowned my closet so I was squeezing in days and time to deal with water heater fixers and carpet cleaners and wall repairers. I had left a lot of my classroom stuff at home and mom decided to bring it up to me on Tuesday. She would come in the afternoon, stay the night and leave the next afternoon. But she had some unexpected injuries that through that plan out the window so Dad and a friend of his drove all my stuff up on Thursday instead. I got to hang out with them for about an hour but there was so much to do I couldnt see them for any longer. So sad. So nice to have parents that care enough and are willing to drive 5 + hours up to see you just to turn around and go home. I dont know how I ever got so lucky.
Now, all I can think of is what a relief it is that this heinous week is behind me. I have TONS to do before school starts on monday but I am actually now thinking I will make it. And yay for Molly who comes to visit me tomorrow for the whole day!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Hey Shawna, Congrats on making it through your week. I remember the days of going crazy from all the things you have to do and how retarded it all seems. You are doing great though! I hope you had a great day with Molly and that she was able to cheer you up to make it through some more crazy days! Love ya Debi

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

Sounds like a real nightmare. I hope your life has calmed down after a week. There are no shadows where the sun doesn't shine. Or something like that.