Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My. . . classroom?

So- it is hard to believe I have only been teaching this class for a little over a week because it feels like they have been my little ol' class for the whole entire school year! For the most part. . . the kids seem to have completely adjusted. They seem happy with school, they like our class, it's all good. Kids bounce back from stuff like this pretty easily it seems. The parents however, are the ones that seem to be making this process a bigger ordeal than it really needed to be. yeah- it might have been a rough spot for their child for a day or two, but they are fine. . . the parents should be too! But I still have some parents (ok- ONE parent) that is pulling her child (who by the way, seems to be a very happy child) out of class and questioning her child every other second how the class is because she claims that "she is afraid she is not adapting well to the situation." Which. . . by the way. . . is a bunch of crap. Anywhoo. . . once we get all parents on board with everything... the year should be great!

Ok. . . about the classroom though. When I first got this job, I was told the classroom would be in a portable, because the school is pretty overcrowded. There are mmmm maybe like 7 or 8 classes out in portables and I really didnt think much of it because I grew up going to school in portable classrooms. In fact, my 2nd grade class was taught in one! At the time, it seemed like no big deal. It was just another classroom. But here, there is like a bad name with the whole portable classroom idea and I have come to believe that that is one reason parents were very opposed to their children switching classrooms This is so silly to me. I mean, maybe its just because I grew up going to school in em, but I feel that it makes no difference in the classroom environment.






Anyway. . . as you can see. . . its a cute classroom and all. . . looks very typical of any other classroom you might enter. So the other day me and my class went outside and a little girl asked "Miss Kelly, can I go back to the portable to get my jacket?" "No honey- you may go back to our CLASSROOM and get your jacket." Geesh- what are these parents teaching their children??

No comments: