Monday, October 6, 2008

Finally caught a break. . .

Wow, so much has happened this past week, I am excited to catch everyone up. :)
We will begin with the job hunt. . .
I came back from Indiana and tried to do the whole substituting thing. Just getting myself used to the system was a pain in the butt. My first job was on a Friday, Kindergarten class, and basically, it was a heinous experience. The kids were out of control, they hadnt had a teacher since like the second week of school so they had no routines down and no expectations, basically it was a nightmare. On monday, due to my disorganized life, I didnt go in to sub. That night I went to family night and sat by a girl that I had never spoken to before in my life. She knew I was a teacher however so she tried to make small talk about what grade I teach. I had to hold my head in shame and tell her that I didnt exactly have a job at the moment. She then told me that her school (did I mention she is a teacher as well?) had an opening for a 4th grade teacher because their numbers went up this year- yay for them. So she told me to come in the next morning. I did that, had an interview with the school that afternoon, and left feeling very confident that I got the job. They told me they would contact me the next day after finishing the few interviews they were "required" to do, but toured me around the school and made sure I would be available on Friday to come in.
The next day however, I did not receive a call from that school, but I got a different surprise call. Yay for surprise calls!
It was a principal at a different school who needed a second grade teacher! He had talked to the principal of the school I started at this year and said that she had only wonderful things to say about me and told him that I just had to have a job this year. So he wanted to interview the next day! So of course by now I am hoping that the first school does NOT call me, I mean, it was a great school and all, but second grade was where I wanted to be. So the next morning while I was driving to my interview at the second school, the first school called me. I did not answer though because I am indeed a wimp. I immediately listened to the voice mail though and it was the vice principal telling me that they had put my name into the district as their new 4th grade teacher! AGH!! So I got to the interview at the second school and oh my gosh it was the cutest school EVER in like a way nice area in town. The principal was SO nice and after a long, friendly interview, I was offered the job there. Of course I wanted to accept that job immediately! He knew about the situation from the first school (he had tried to hire me before I even got to the interview but the district told him I had already been hired!) and told me that I could easily get out of that job because I didnt even accept it to begin with and the district thinks its important that teachers go where they think they are the best fit. So I called the district and I went to the other school, and to make a very long story short. . . got my new second grade job at the cutest school EVER! I start tomorrow. . . I will definitely let you know how it goes!
After getting my job, I drove down to California. Molly and Bryan were originally supposed to come this weekend, but due to
other circumstances, they decided not to. It was a way fun weekend. I hung out at home and with my family. I watched Cayden in his football game and I might add, he did amazing! Dad got an awesome video of one of the plays and I highly recommend you viewing it. :) Cayden is on the blue team, number 21 :)


We went in the spa a few times, watched tv, just did the hang out at home thing. It was way fun. Today (Monday) I drove back but randomly decided to stop in Murietta to visit my friend Jenae who I have not seen in a long time. We had a wonderful and lengthy visit and then I got on the road and made it back here this evening. Two Thursdays ago, I had a visit with another friend of mine Brittney. Her sister plays soccer for BYU Hawaii and were playing in St George so Britt and her fam drove down to see her so I drove up to see them. It was way fun and little kami even scored the only goal for their team. It was way exciting! I am kind of bummed I have no cute photos from either of my excellent friend visits but I had to mention it anyway. I have lots of friends that I dont get to see very often which is so very sad so it was way fun to get to see those two again!

3 comments:

The Short Family said...

Congrats Shawna! I have been routing for you to find something perfect. I am glad that you did.

Michelle said...

Your blog is so cute! I love that you have Halloween stuff. I am glad you found mine so we could keep in touch! hope you're doing well!

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you didn't have to accept the fourth grade position! Sounds so much better then Nebo!! Good luck with the school year!