Monday, December 15, 2008

An unexpected Surprise



I woke up to just another typical day. Got dressed, went to work, and as I got out of my car a few snow flurries began to fall. Fun, I thought. .

Yeah- well those snow flurries changed from little flurries, to actual snow falling, and it didn't stop all day long! At first it was kind of exciting, it was fun to see how happy it made the kids. Snow isn't typical for the Las Vegas area you know. About an hour into school the snow was really starting to fall, so I took the kids out to play in it a little, as if we were getting anything done as it was! There was quite an actual bit on the ground already and I wanted to get a few pictures before it melted away. As the day progressed however, it just kept falling and falling.
My "good" idea of taking the kids out to play stuck with me all day long, in my non water proof shoes. My feet were wet, and because our classroom is situated outside the actual school, we go outside a lot. We take bathroom and drink breaks. Go inside for our special classes, and during my planning time I am in and out of the building doing who knows what. The grounds aren't really set up to take much moisture either because they just flood- major. By 1:30 in the afternoon my poor feet were literally sopping wet and frozen solid. The only thing I wanted to do after school- was leave. I unfortunately had a couple of parent conferences to get through. . . then I was out the door! My car was covered in snow enough that the window wipers wouldn't take it off. Did I even bring my snow scraper when I moved? Absolutely not! And any sort of warm winter clothing is stuffed in a box in CA or has been given to my sister Molly who lives in Indiana and actually needs it. So I was using my little sweater I happened to wear today to free my car of it's blanket of snow.
The 25 minute drive home was not great. I was trying to peel my socks and shoes off as I drove and I was seriously frightened that my feet would be black from frostbite (you know like on Mr. Deeds?) I mean. . . I had walked in sopping wet shoes for over 5 hours! Luckily though, not a black speck on em. . . and they did eventually thaw!

It was a miserable, cold, wet day, but the drive home was pretty from the snow and made it feel like it really is almost Christmas, which is something I didn't really expect when I moved here. So part of it may actually have been kind of a fun surprise. . .






2 comments:

Bonnie said...

SO SO FUN!! Those poor kids were probably freezing too. . . look at that boy with a short sleeve shirt, YIKES!! I am cold and miserable just thinking about it. . . now I am headed to my warm shower :)

Gail Felsman said...

I spent alot of my mail delivery years with cold wet everything. I can really relate to that feeling. It is scary and I was always sure I was just minutes away from death from freezing. Love, Gail