Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ships, Cars, Trains, and Motorcycles


You know the school year is coming to an end when Field Day approaches, which is exactly what occurred this past Friday. From the very morning, up until almost lunch time, the whole school participated in 23 rotations from water balloon tosses, to bubble blowing contests, to an obstacle course for just the teachers. We ate lunch, went on a school wide treasure hunt (popsicles were the treasure!) and got to watch a slide show video The whole day was pirate themed-- very cute! The day ended with a little assembly which Miss Kelly's little class got to perform at. It was long, it was hot, and it was hectic, but it was a great day to help close the school year.






After school I hopped into my car and drove north to Cedar City to meet Randi for the evening. She had to go to a wedding down at Zion's Park on Friday and because of the timing, did not want to drive all the way home to Salt Lake after it. So being that I am not too far from Cedar City, I decided to meet her there for a little girl's night. We caught up on lives (So much has happened in the two weeks since our last visit), went in the pool and hot tub, bought a bunch of snacks, then stayed up til the wee hours in the morning playing the train game. The next morning we hit IHOP for a late breakfast before saying our good byes once again.


This past week, I was talking to my friend Michael and mentioned my trip I would be making up to Cedar City. He started talking about how he has been wanting to take his motorcycle up to Zion's Park to drive through, since he has never seen it. In all seven years of living in Utah and now almost one year in Las Vegas (which makes me even closer) I have never been to Zion's Park either. So we decided to meet up and go! He drove up Saturday while I was driving down and we met up at a little gas station outside of the park. It was my first time on a motorcycle, so it was a bit frightening at first (Michael claimed I could take pictures while we were moving at slower speeds but once beginning the ride I discovered that would NOT be possible for me so the only picture I got while we were both on the bike was taken while we were not moving)


This seemed like a nice kodak moment right at the park's sign. Unfortunately I was with a boy who failed to mention that I had MAJOR helmet hair going on. Where are the girl friends when you need em??



After driving through the park, we stopped and had lunch, then took the shuttle up through the park where you are not allowed to drive. I forced Michael to get off the shuttle for one stop with me, Weeping Rock. I randomly chose that stop while we were still on the bottom just cuz I liked the name. Lucky for Michael it was the shortest hike I could have chosen being only half a mile round trip! They claim the water falling out of Weeping Rock begins at a puddle on the top of the rock and by the time it actually is falling, is 1200 years old! We didn't buy really buy that story though. . . I mean- really??

3 comments:

BJ said...

I wish Randi we tell ME when she is going to be close by!

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

looks like you had lots of fun. i've always wanted to go to zion too. how fun with the motorcycle. maybe we'll make it some day on the way up to idaho.
jody

Terry and Gail said...

I love that you stay busy and are always doing something...I don't need to do anything, I live it vicariously through you. I think Zion's is a beautiful park. I went through it and Kolob's canyon the summer after my freshmen year in college. I love the end of the year activities at the schools. Friday I am going with Michelle to Carlos's kindergarten graduation and then after that we are going to Montpelier, Idaho for a fourth grade field trip. Then next week I will go to the award's assembly for Carson and Carlos. I love those kind of things. The kids are so proud and happy. Your class looked like they had a great time, Miss Kelly. Love, Aunt Gail