Sunday, May 3, 2009

Graduation!



After two long school years of after school classes, and two summers of going to school, Last July I earned my Master's Degree in Education from Southern Utah University. Because it is kind of a tiny little school, they only hold a graduation ceremony once a year, therefore, I finally "graduated" just this past Friday.

I drove up to Cedar City on Friday morning and met Randi who had come down from Salt Lake. We played around the city (which really didn't have a ton to do) until everyone arrived which included my Parents, Bonnie and her family, my Grandpa, and my Aunt Gail. Having everyone with different cars and coming and going from different directions made things tricky at times, but overall everything was great.

The "big" ceremony was early Saturday morning. President Monson spoke at that one. Unfortunately I read the signs wrong and when it said "no purses, bags, or camera bags," I assumed it meant no cameras, which wasn't the case at all. So we didn't get any pictures in there. The smaller ceremony just for education was a few hours after that. So we took some pictures and the whole clan headed to that one. Though dressing up, and walking on stage to get your diploma seems, and is in fact very exciting, the whole thing can also be a rather bore. Sitting through 400 names can be very slow and hard on the bum, but we all survived it. It was definitely a nice finish to a few years of hard work. :)












My parents invested a lot in my education and I feel so very lucky to have family that supported me through so many years of college. I feel really lucky to have been raised in a family that values education and that expected us to continue going to school beyond high school. I was really fortunate to stumble upon this little program and though at times I would admit it. . . I am glad I took the opportunity to complete this degree. . . there really is a good satisfaction from knowing that I was able to accomplish this goal, that I never really had planned on ever pursuing. So thank you once again for all family and friends that got to come, and for my parents that are willing to do anything to help me in any whatever way they can. Thanks everyone! :)

5 comments:

The Figueroas said...

congrats shawna i am sure you earned and worked very hard to graduate. I am sure your parents and friends and family are very proud of you i wish i could have been there but with school and sports we could not make it.
Michaela Figueroa

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! I am uber impressed :)

Arner Family said...

Congratulations Shawna! Such a huge accomplishment we are so proud of you!

Terry and Gail said...

Thank you so much for letting me attend your graduation and including me in all the celebration. I liked your two friend, Nate and Nephi... I had so much fun. You guys are seriously the best company. I am so proud of you and you are so right to be thankful for your family. Lots of things matter in this world but none so much as our families. I love you...You are simply amazing and funny, smart and darling. Keep being happy. Love, Aunt Gail

Terry and Gail said...

Shawna congratulation for a job well done. You make us proud!!! Sorry I couldn't be there, but good old dependable Gail made it. I am attending the FBI National Academy in Quantico,VA. This is a 10 week Academy and I graduate June 12, 2009. Glad you had lots of family there. Take care of your self. Again Congrats Shawna