Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Worst Day of my Life

Months ago, my sisters and I signed up for the Las Vegas Marathon. Not the measley 13.1 half marathon- but the full 26.2 miles. We were going to train, and be all ready for it. Because who in their right mind would try and run a marathon without training? Well. . . life seemed to get in the way for all of us, and I can count on one hand, no- make it one finger, how many times I went running in the month before the big day.

People at work were pretty surprised that we were still going to attempt it, but I was very not concerned about it. We'll run as far as we can, then walk the rest of the way. No biggie! So mom, Bonnie, and the kids (including Aubs friend Jamie) trekked it up to Vegas on Friday night. We had some dinner then picked Molly and Bryan up from the airport later that night.
Saturday morning we woke up to the coldest day of the year here in Vegas, and dragged our poorly clothed children off to the Kids mile run that they had actually been preparing for.



It was put on by McDonalds. . . who would've guessed we would run into someone famous there?! I guess that's Vegas for you!


All three kids did an awesome job. They all ran the whole way and did amazing. I was so proud!

We went back to my house for just a little while before we became tourists for the day and hit the strip. We played in arcade at NYNY and then hiked quite the distance up to Ceaser's Palace to eat some frozen hot chocolates from Serendipitys. We took many pictures along the way, and stopped at the "regular" kids attractions such as the coke and m&m stores.



We hit Cafe Rio for dinner. . . YUM. . . and hit the bed somewhat early after taking Bryan to the airport (came all this way and didn't actually get to stay for our big race).

Sunday we woke up to a cold, cold day. Bonnie had ordered us some cute red tank tops, but seeing how the weather had drastically changed, we ended up with a completely different ensemble.




I'm not going to talk much about the race. Basically- it was pure misery though. The first ten miles were cold, but good. We ran up and down the strip and at 10.5 miles we reached the splitting point, where the half marathon people headed towards home, while the rest of us headed in a completely opposite direction. We pretty much made it to 13 miles doing decently well, but it all basically went down hill from there, and quick. At 16 miles I remember feeling pure hopelessness knowing I still had 10 miles to go, and by mile 21 I had nothing left in me. We ran/walked (practically crawled) those last few miles and upon crossing the finish line, vowed that we would NEVER do it again.



My sisters were great though and dragged me along the whole time. I would have been lost without them. At one point Bonnie stopped to wait for me and even offered me a piggyback ride! What great sisters I have!

Being a little dramatic Shawna? Really the worst day of your life?

It ranks up there!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Not even a comment about your poor poor knees?? Pretty good rendition :)

BJ said...

Well props for even going! I do think you're crazy to run that far-for no good reason, but good for you for completing it!

Terry and Gail said...

I have got to tell you... as wiggly as I am, I have never had the desire to run a half marathon let alone a whole marathon. I know cold is weird, but the cold you were in probably made it possible for you to keep going. You probably never got to the sweaty stage. I love to run or walk when I feel the cold like a bubble around me without touching me... the activity keeps the cold from reaching, but always aware that it is there should you stop. I give you props for finishing. At least you know that if you had to run for your life you probably could. You guys look like you had fun together even if the run wasn't the fun you anticipated. Hope your knee heals. Love, Aunt Gail