Sunday, May 30, 2010

A little confused

On Wednesday, a little girl in my class randomly told me that Friday would be her last day of school. She wanted to make sure I brought her some ice cream on that day because I owe certain students ice cream if they learn their multiplication facts by the end of the year, which she has already done.

I assured her that I would bring her the ice cream . . . before finding out the details.

No, she is not moving like I would obviously assume, but rather, she told me, is going on a year long cruise.

Seriously, making sure you get some ice cream from your poor teacher before you go on a cruise with, most likely, never ending amounts of ice cream?? I asked her a few more details, then told her to have her parents contact the school because they need to know that she wont be back. Later that day the class went to art where she told the art teacher the same story, therefore she took home all her art supplies that she had there.

Well, I took the following day off of work, and returned to school once again on Friday. This is the note I found waiting for me. . .


I would have loved to hear the conversation that family was having to make a kid jump to the conclusion that they were going on a year long cruise. . .

I would also have loved, probably even a bit more, the conversation that took place when the poor kid told her parents that she had announced to everyone at school that she was going on this year long cruise.

Talk about a disappointing day in the life of a 3rd grader!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kids are precious. I don't know how many times my kids have come up with some off-the-wall idea that they said I told them and nothing I could do would convince them I had no idea what they were talking about.

Debi said...

Ha ha ha! That is hilarious. I wonder if she actually really thought it and what in the world her parents were talking about when she heard it. To be a fly on the wall sometimes would be great. Love the story, thanks for sharing. Debi

JLTan said...

Hmm ... I wonder why she imagined herself going on a year long cruise?

My understanding of kids is such that it could be wishful thinking, misunderstanding something that parents have said, or attraction to the idea by a peer doing something similar. Don't know if hers is one of these reasons, or something I would not have expected.

Terry and Gail said...

Truly darling story and I love the parents' response. Kids can either imagine a ton or can be mixed up by what they hear. Well, she deserved her ice cream no matter her imagination or confusion. Loni told me the other day that she wanted to quit school to become a famous singer. Funny... I worked hard to tell her that going to school was what she had to do right now. If I would have been smart I would have just told her that Pres. Hinckley said that we should all get our education. She still misses him being the prophet. She tells me almost everytime she talks to me. Love, Aunt Gail