Saturday, September 3, 2011

the BIG finale!

We had one final stop to make in Riverside, Ca. It had been such a long trip and we were so close to home, I honestly almost did away with it. It wasn't one of the most exciting stops I thought and I didn't really want to end on a dud. Unfortunately though, our previous stop had been the paper cup. Not really a finale winner either, so ultimately we stopped for our final "California Must-see."

Yup- it's a chair! President Taft's chair actually. If you aren't very familiar with history, I'll remind you that President Taft was our fattest president. Meaning. . . he needed a really fat chair to sit in!

And there we have it. The BIG roadtrip was finally complete. It took us a bit over an hour to get home after that. Though we had many fun adventures, and saw many amazing and cool things. . . our stops were just the half of it! I mentioned very little of the actual road trip. . . the hours, upon hours, and days upon days that we sat in the car going from one stop to the other.

I had somewhat worried that it would be a crazy trip. Kids would get bored. . . and adults would get annoyed. But this trip proved quite otherwise. We planned so many car trip activities, that most of the time actually flew on by. We had computers with DVD players, we listened to a whole book on tape, played madlibs, battleship, and hangman. Aubs made bracelets and Cayd played his little game system. We ate snacks and had long discussions about what we needed to do to OUR houses, to get us on the map for people to come visit (don't ask!). And we ALL participated in the great License Plate frenzy game.
The picture shows the winner of that one.

The final car picture I took makes me laugh, because it was not only til we were 40 minutes away from home that Aubrey finally passed out in the car. Besides that, no car napping the entire way! Something I very much did NOT expect.

So here is to a great roadtrip. . . and for the year ahead to plan the next grans adventure!

7 comments:

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

well at least the chair is a self esteem builder! i like it. :) i was hoping to hear about some big fights in the car. oh, well. maybe next time.
jody

Debi said...

Wow that is a fat chair! I love your trip! I can't believe that none of you slept except Aub that last 40 min! Crazy! I can't wait for your next trip either. It almost makes me want to plan one of my own.....for when my kids are older! Loved it! Debi

Bonnie said...

That would be DRIVER BONNIE who won the plate game (the pict looked a weeeee small) haha! thanks for recording it shawn, it was one of the best trips ever! I promise to have in a book soon :)

jeremy said...

Isn't that amazing! I will definitely tell this to my friends.
arginine benefits

Cassidy and Randi Peterson said...

I am excited you finished it, but honestly a little sad because now what do I have to look forward to on Shawna's blog? Next year's trip is going to have to be pretty great to top this one :)
Random other thought we are going to paint the pink room so if you have a free weekend and want to come help let me know :) You could stop in Beaver and have a glass of the best tasting water in America to continue the road trip feel.

Bryan and Molly said...

oh Randi - neither Shawna or I will ever be stopping in Beaver again - EVER! Not even for the best tasting water in America - as tempting as that sounds. They pretty much suck :)

Terry and Gail said...

Good for you guys to do such an adventureous things. The world right around us is more interesting than we think. Love, Aunt Gail