Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break!

Earlier this year, a group of three girls from church that all happen to be teachers as well, invited me to go on a trip with them over spring break. Destination was cruising Mexico-- I think they were kind of surprised at how quickly I jumped aboard the opportunity to go. Afterall, I didn't know them very well-- but it kind of worked perfectly because no other occupation really gets a week long spring break all at the same time. So this past week, spring break arrived and I found myself on board yet another cruise (feels like I was just blogging about the last!) So here goes my brief overview of my latest adventure:



From left to right: Shawna (ME!), Holly, DonnaLyn, and Christine drove down to California Friday afternoon. The three girls went to Sea World on Saturday, but I stayed back. Mom and the kids were going to be leaving for Indiana while I was gone- so I wanted to hang out with them that day instead. Cayd and Aubs ran in the JR Carlsbad mile and half mile and did fantastic! Cayden had a soccer game later, and we ended the day at Souplantation-- one of my favorites! (Definitely not dad's though-- sorry pops!) On Sunday mom drove us to San Diego where we boarded our home away from home for the next four days.

On Monday we docked in Catalina Island, not Mexico of course- but still a very fun, cute little city. We had planned a trip to go kayaking that day, but while waiting for that adventure to start, we came across a booth selling para sailing trips. So we decided to do both!



The rest of the kayaking pictures are still on the waterproof camera I chose to buy instead. I couldn't bare the thought of losing my brand new camera to the ocean by tipping the kayak (or the thought of telling mom and dad I lost the second one!). Kayaking is something I have always wanted to do, and is definitely something I wouldn't mind doing again.




We then got to do our para sailing adventure. We went up in partners, me with Holly and then the other two girls after us. I will admit that I was a bit scared at first (I am kind of wimpy at times), but it was not scary at all. You kind of just went up- then down. But another thing that I was glad to try.

We did a little shopping, and then headed back to the boat. I am not a shopper when it comes to souveniers, but I came across an item that I couldn't pass up- nail polish that changes in the sun!! The top photo is my nail polish inside and the bottom- in the sun. Same bottle- no joke!




That night was our elegant night at dinner. We all dressed up fancy schmancy, got a few pictures taken, and ate lots of yummy food! DonnaLyn's birthday had been the day before, so the waiters brought her a special birthday dessert and sang for her. Afterwards, one of them asked her to dance. It was pretty silly-- as you can see, they were way different in height!





The next day we were making our second stop- Ensenada. We took a bus ride around the city, then got to attend a typical Mexican fiesta. There was food, dancing, a roping man, and then at the end- a pinata! Lucky for us, we had a birthday girl in the group- so we got to see her attempt to break it open.



Then our last day was our "sea day." Just a day to do the fun, random events on the ship. Holly and I walked a mile to earn money for cancer, Christine entered the ping pong tournament, we all played a bit of mini golf, and I was still able to squeeze in a bit of time to soak in a few rays by the pool.





On Thursday, we woke up and we (being me) downed a final few cartons of chocolate milk before they threw us out onto the streets and back to real life. :( It was a fun adventure while it lasted!




My final highlights:
Because I am a Kelly, much of the trip definitely revolved around food. I always become quite addicted to diet cherry coke whenever we go on a trip like this, meaning that this trip was no exception. I was also pleased to discover that they offered the delicious warm chocolate melting cake every night at dinner! I think I got it three times! On the last night they gave me two things of ice cream to go with it because I was the only one of the group NOT to order TWO desserts! Ha ha!


6 comments:

Bonnie said...

no comment. . . just a weee bit jealous!! haha. . . next time it will be us!!

The Short Family said...

It looks like you had tons of fun. Can I just say that I am so jealous that you have been on two cruises?

Unknown said...

Wow! It looks like you had a lot of fun! I agree with Bonnie I am a little jealous.

BJ said...

Pretty cool! those three girls can be pretty fun to hang out with. You're so lucky to go on all these cruises!

Stacie said...

That sounded like it was a blast! When I went on my cruise last month I wanted to go parasailing so bad but we didn't have time in Cozumel unless I wanted to go alone and that scared me a little being all alone in Mexico, so I'm offically jealous!

P.S. I found the recipe for the warm chocolate melting cake.... O-So-YUMMY!!!

Terry and Gail said...

I hope the Stacy girl will read this blog and send me the recipe for that cake: email address for me is felsman@dats.com. Way to have fun and have a life Shawna. You are a fabulous girl. I wish I had known all three of you (your sisters and you) better as you were growing up. I think us 8 ladies: your mom and your sisters and me and my daughters all ought to take a week long cruise together. They might have to give us a separate boat we would wear out the rest of the cruisers just having them watch us. We would have a blast. But if we can't do that, maybe...just maybe we could go out to dinner once just all of us. We would clear the restaurant we would have so much energy in there. Aunt Gail