Monday, April 13, 2009

Our All Day Walk

So I think it all started back in January on our family cruise. . .there was a jogging deck on the boat and Bonnie randomly asked if she thought anyone would notice if she walked around and around all day long. "uh yeah- people would probably know you as the crazy walking girl!" She didn't do it- but that thought apparently never left her mind because when she picked me up from my most recent trip- she asked me if I had walked around the track all day long. Then she decided that on Saturday, the two of us would go walking all day long- I mean afterall, what else was she going to do with her kid free weekend?? But it got better than that. A few hours later while she was at work, I got a text that announced we would be walking to the beach on Saturday. . . . what was my response? "I am so in!"
So we drove the course in our car the night before, making sure there would be side walks along the way, and seeing how far it actually is to the beach. We also did a "trial walk" to see approximately how many miles we could walk in an hour, and then decided that we would set off at 6 am.

We had a late start (6:45 am), jogged at the beginning (maybe the first 4 miles?) and goofed around the rest of the time stopping for random fun pictures, and yes, a yummy 7-11 donut as well. It was fun, and definitely hard on the legs- but was all worth it that glorious moment when we actually saw the beach! That moment was cut short however, when we discovered that we had walked to a beach with cliffs and rocks, and with no real easy way down (our goal was to actually touch the water). We did not come all this way though to not touch the dang water, so we climbed down (I half crawled) down the hill and did get to touch the beach to complete our 18 mile journey by 11:15 in the morning. Didn't take as long as we thought, and were definitely not inspired to walk all the way home, so we got picked up. So even though it was a fun, sporadic day. . . we didn't really walk all day... not even close. . . next time I guess we will have to choose a further destination!










4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I like your rendition of it. . . I honestly forgot how the idea was started (although I did know it way MY idea - sorry I blame you in my blog) . . . you have such a good memory - or maybe just a younger one . . . haha I am getting older. A farther destination, hmmm??? Now you got me thinking. I'll keep you posted with my thoughts :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe you walked all the way to the beach!!! That is stinking FAR!!!!

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

now i've been inspired!!! i've been trying to figure out how to lose this baby weight. maybe a daily walk to the beach would do it. i told some friends and we are thinking about doing our own little beach expedition. i'll let you know if we actually follow through on it.
jody

Terry and Gail said...

What a great idea. I can't think of anything better than to walk all day and then to see the beach. You may not have to pick a farther destination..just walk slower!!! Love, Aunt Gail you guys are sooooo cooool.