Friday, October 9, 2009

For Andrew...

One of the worst things about teaching is being observed. . you just never know when someone is going to pop in-sit down-and take notes of everything you do for the next 30 minutes... doesn't matter how comfortable you are with your job. . . it just kind of catches you off guard no matter who you are. . . besides the fact that there are 20 eight and nine year olds in there with you who don't always understand the importance of this occasion.

Thursday was my lucky day. . . and even luckier. . . it was math time! Though I am a girl that have always loved math. . . I am not a girl that loves teaching math. It's the end of the day. . . kids either get it and are bored, or don't get it and are confused. It was part way through the lesson meaning the fun beginning intro part of the lesson was behind us, when not only the principal, but the man learning to be a principal came wandering in- note pad and all. They take a seat and the lesson proceeds. We are learning the properties of addition: Communative (X+Y=Y+X) , Associative (X+(Y+Z)=(X+Z)+Y), and Identity (Anything plus zero=the original number). Kids are bored. . . you can tell. . . but being surprisingly good. . . I mean. . . way good! They are quiet. . . they are paying attention (or appear to be) and we make it through the boring practice. Then it is time to do work on their own so they each get the worksheet and begin the four problem review.

Now in my class, when a kid finishes early and it is language time, they read a book. . . in math time though when finished. . . they cut out the flashcards I have made for them to practice their basic math facts before our daily fun quick math fact game. Anywho. . . one of my little students is finished with his work and therefore cutting out flashcards and I am wandering around the room like a good teacher should do (especially when being observed!) I am circling, circling, when I end up right by the principal and that's when this little boy comes excitedly skipping up to me with two flashcards in hand.. "Look Miss Kelly! These flashcards are examples of the communative property of addition! See... 11+6 and 6+11!" Sure enough they are! And sure enough out of the corner of my eye I see both the principal and the shadow beaming at my little student. So this post is for my little Andrew who will never see my blog. . . but who assured me my "A" on my first observation of the school year. . . thanks Andrew!

1 comment:

Terry and Gail said...

Kids will sometimes really come through for you- especially when you need it. Heavenly Father must have had an angel on each or their shoulders giving them a back rub while you were teaching and cruising around the room. I am happy for you. Love, Aunt Gail