Friday, October 9, 2009

Weekend O' Fun!

So I signed up for a 180 mile relay race (which is TODAY by the way- more posts to follow!) and a marathon in December with my sisters. I ran our half marathon last month, went to the gym a few times after that, then totally got lazy and stopped running. Every night that I skipped going to the gym, this relay race on October 9th would be eating at my mind. . . but I didn't go anyway! So a week ago Thursday (I know- I have been busy/lazy and this was a while ago) Bonnie posted on her blog that she was looking for a Saturday running buddy to go 16 miles with her. I have definitely not kept up with our running schedule, didn't even know the last time I looked at the dang thing, but knew that if we were supposed to be running 16 miles that week, I needed a buddy too because honestly I had become such the slacker. Well- no weekend plans had really been made as of then and it had been a whole month since being in California, so I thought- what the hey- I should do this! So on Friday after school I hit the road and made it to California in time to hit the end of Aubs softball practice, and for a birthday dinner for one of Bon's friends.
I honestly didn't think I would make it 16 miles so I tried to compromise with Bonnie who would only cut it down to 14 for me. I decided that I would go as for as I could (maybe 8 miles?) then I could walk the rest of the way while Bonnie finished, who then could come pick me up! She wasn't super fond of this plan, but I figured she would deal with it when it happened.

Well we woke up Saturday morning (5:30 am) and set off on our predetermined run that we mapped out using some mapping thing on the computer. We chatted the whole time, never even putting on our ipods and realized that we weren't positive where our turn around 7 mile point was. We watched for the road that we couldn't remember the name (but I swore I would at least recognize when seeing it) but ended up at McDonalds which we knew was the 8 mile point! So we turned around and went back- and I completed the 16.5 mile run even though I only thought I would go 8! Ok- so the last mile I ended up walking because my knee was having major stabbing feeling issues and I finally had to put on my pod and ignore Bonnie who kept talking about who knows what! I kept telling her to go on without me which finally she did! Sorry Bon!! But overall the run was fantastic and I am so glad I did it. . . made me feel much more confident about the runs I had coming up.

Then I finished the weekend by watching several soccer games, several softball games, and eating! It was great fun! Thanks Bonnie, Aubrey, and Cayden for my wonderful sporadic visit!







The next day- what is the text I receive from Bonnie? Oops-- read the calendar wrong- we were only supposed to do eight miles this weekend!! (No joke!)

1 comment:

Terry and Gail said...

I think Bonnie has pulled a few of those fast ones on you from time to time. She is a relentless and maybe even ruthless sister. But it is amazing how you always meet the challenge. Never give up and always...always go for the best- because that is what you deserve- and be the best- because that is what God (who gives us so many blessings- like Andrew) deserves. Have a nice day. Love, Aunbt Gail