Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy School Year!!!

Yes. . . it's that time of year again. . . new school year. . . back to the occasional school story postings. . .

So today was the first day of school. Now I have 26 little 3rd graders to once again spend my days with. It was a pretty typical first day of school. Parents come in, telling me things left and right about the things I need to remember about their little baby. The diabetic kid's mom had most my attention in the morning, then another mom grabbed me right at the end to tell me that there is a custody battle going on right now and that I was not to allow her son to go with his dad if he should happen to arrive. . . its a story I have heard several times in my few short years of teaching. . . but the dads never come. . .

until today. Police are called, official court papers are looked at, and as it turns out- dad is the one with full custody of the kid! Mom got a few weeks of summer with him and decided that she didn't want to give him back. So kid was pulled out of class, and dad took him home to Utah where he actually lives. It was a pretty interesting day.

I of course, got to witness hardly any of it. Principal comes in after lunch asking for the boy to come with him. And I don't find out anything til after school. Still was somewhat of an eye opener. Mom seemed so normal- I remember specifically telling her in response to not letting dad steal him away "we'll take good care of him!" Ha. . . makes me realize how little I really know what's going on in some of these kids lives.

I did my same garden theme classroom. . I LOVE it. Much is the same from last year. . . made a few modifications though. . . wish I got a picture of their tables with nametags. . . so cute! Maybe tomorrow. . .





A peak into 3rd grade-

"Any questions on what you should be doing?"
"Miss Kelly you're pretty"
"Thank you- but that wasn't a question."

4 comments:

Bryan and Molly said...

your classroom looks great, even though I wasnt there to help :( Good luck this school year!!

Bonnie said...

yes looks great . . . and you are so pretty! Love ya sista

Debi said...

Wow! I hope Loni's teacher is as fun as you are! That is the prettiest and happiest room I have ever seen. Wish I was in 3rd grade! Have a good year, minus one kid, who now is back in Utah. Poor kid. Love Debi

Jim and Lee said...

Love the room! Couldn't you work some hydroponics into the garden theme?