Monday, July 11, 2011

Pfefferminz

On day two, we didn't have to wake up too bright and early. Our next stop wasn't opened until ten o'clock and was only about 35 minutes away. So we grabbed some breakfast and headed on out.
Throughout the drive, the kids (and Bonnie) would ask for clues about the next stop. We kind of played 20 questions with it. I think this was one of two stops that was guessed ahead of time. Somehow Cayd knew that the only Pez museum is located in California and he sure was hoping he would get the chance to go. Because every time we would head to a new place, he would always guess the Pez museum, even if it didn't match the stinkin clues I was giving him! So of course, this was one of his first guesses that morning.

Must See # 11: Pez Museum-- Burlingame, CA
When we first drove by the tiny little shop in the middle of a little shopping center, I thought that this was going to be a bust. We parked, stuck one quarter in the meter (cuz 20 minutes would be plenty of time) and headed on in. The room we walked in to was very small, and filled with, you know it, PEZ. This apparently was the store. But for $2 a person, we could get into the museum, and have a personal tour. Yes! So we forked over the $8 to the weird Pez man and he led us into the museum. . . which frankly was another tiny room separated from the store by some little Pez curtains.
I must admit, the "tour" was quite interesting. We learned about the history of Pez, saw the original packaging of it, and then saw every pez dispenser that has ever been made. He told us which dispensers to keep our eyes out for (that's my new plan A for striking it rich) then had random other old toys that had nothing to do with Pez, but were from the same pez era? but honestly, I'm still not too sure what the other toys were really for.
We snapped some photos in the museum, then of course we had to get one by the world's biggest Pez dispenser (created by Mr. Pez museum tour guide himself)
Cayd and Aubs (and yes- even Bon) then had ample time to souvenier shop and find the perfect Pez dispensers to take home.
Bags and photos in hand, we finally left the museum and realized that we had definitely exceeded our parking meter time. Who would've thought? Luckily for us, the Pez parking men didn't ticket us and we were happily on our way.

5 comments:

Debi said...

Sweet! I love PEZ. I know. I am weird. I am glad Cayd guessed where you were going next. I bet it made him twice as happy to know that is where you were really going! Glad it wasn't a bust.

Bryan and Molly said...

so what pez dispensers did you buy??

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

always fun to meet a wierd Mr. Pez guy and yes, i have the same question as molly. i was hoping for a picture of you each holding your favorite pez. :)
jody

Bonnie said...

correction. . . his first guess was ALWAYS the YoYo museum, followed by PEZ :) Debi, PEZ are yuck and I think I even tricked weird mr pez man in admitting they arent too tasty :) Both kids purchased a remake of the "original" pez dispenser (originally they werent for kids and had no toppers) and then cayd got a homedepot truck and aubrey a monsters inc character. I was gifting mine and was instructed to find the "tackiest" dispenser :) I am not sure if I offended mr pez man when I made this request. I ended up withe some strange scuba diving super hero :) The tiny store experience definitely did not disappoint

Terry and Gail said...

Isn't it weird the random places in our world... places that are okay. I don't want scary or mean places... but lots of little out of the way places that are really interesting. Good postings of your trip. What a good idea. Love, Aunt Gail