Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

This was the first year that I got to decorate my very own house for Halloween. I was pretty excited. That is. . . until I discovered I really don't have any money to buy regular house decorations. . . let alone Halloween stuff! I did end up getting a Frankenstein towel that was put downstairs in the "guest" bathroom. I don't know if I even had one guest in that bathroom to enjoy my one and only October decoration! I got to use it however. . . and am thoroughly impressed with how soft it is. . . that I am considering keeping it up year round!!

I did buy an outside Halloween welcome hanging thing. I tried hanging it up, and it got super windy and just blew down like the same night! So I ended up taking it back inside, and never attempted again to get it hung back up. . .


On Friday night, I got Nephi to carve pumpkins with me for the second year in a row. I needed a Jack o Lantern to show the kidletts that this was a house to hit on Halloween night!! Last year when we carved pumpkins, we made the delicious tortilla soup as well. It was very tasty of course, but I think I much prefer the Jack o lantern pizza tradition instead. Let's face it. . . I am just not a cook!!




Now, two nights later, my pumpkin has already withered, and the light inside of it ran out of batteries. I did however somewhat put my sign back outside. The nail is lost, so the sign just kind of got propped up against the post on the house.


Oh well-- I turned the porch light on. . . hopefully the kiddos will still feel welcome!

Here's to better decorating next year. . . .

Happy Halloween!

6 comments:

Bryan and Molly said...

ha ha you are such a dork! I dont have any halloween decorations for the very same reason! I must first decorate my house with regular stuff - then I can start focusing on holidays! Love the bathroom towel though! Cute pumpkins! Happy Halloween!!

Bonnie said...

I am cracking up . . . was your house a hit?? Cayden was so, so, so very disappointed with our decorations this year, I swear they are the same decorations I have put up every year. But everytime we pulled up to the house, he reminded me they SUCKED! So he found some caution tape and decorated the door himself. Weird kid! I love the frankenstein towel too :)

Debi said...

Shawna you are so funny! The best time to buy decorations is after the holiday when they are on sale. You buy a little every year and then in 10 years you will have enough. This year we only had pumpkins because I was too tired to get up into the attic. Sad. Hopefully for Thanksgiving and Christmas Rick will help get it all down. I loved your pumpkin and your pumpkin pizza. Love Debi

The Short Family said...

Hit the dollar store next year. All of our decor is from there. Jack doesn't let me get away with not decorating.

Terry and Gail said...

I will help you out this year, to solve all your problems next year. Join the Jehovah Witness church and you will not have to put up Christmas, Thanksgiving or Halloween decorations. I am so good at helping people with their problems. You done good. Have a Good Thanksgiving. Terry

Terry and Gail said...

When my kids were little, we made a lot of homemade decorations. I kept lots of them because they remind me of how much fun we had doing stuff like that. But Debi has the right idea... I mean WalMart has been selling their Halloween costumes for 90% off- decorations are just as cheap. Depending on the size of your house you might have enough decorations in 5 years instead of 10. Love, Aunt Gail