Sunday, October 3, 2010

And that's what friends are for. . .

It was a pretty exhausting weekend. . . so hopefully I can make this snappy!

A friend of mine and her husband were going to Italy for a week. Grandma agreed to babysit the kids, but mom was looking for someone a bit on the "funner" side to take the kids for the weekend, so I was asked.
I needed to be up in Summerlin by 5 am Saturday morning. First thing on my arrival, my friend gave me a hug and apologized for making me wake up with a 4 on my clock. It was pretty funny.
I told her, "no worries, that's why I showed up in my Pj's, I'll just take a little snooze on the couch and I'll be good to go!" That's when 3 hyper little children came running downstairs with no intentions on going back to sleep. . . and I realized it was going to be a pretty long day!
Considering I was hired for my "fun-ness," I knew that sitting around all weekend was not going to be an option. So around 8 am while I was already building a robot, the topic of breakfast came up. They told me that they have pancake mix (that wasn't going to work for me!). . . then the little one slyly told me that they like Dunkin Donuts too. . . and that was an option i was more willing to take! And that is when our busy little weekend began! In two days we were able to fit in a baseball game, several park visits, skymania, color me mine, and a birthday bbq. Not to mention, we ate lots of junk food.
On Saturday night, my plan to exhaust the children and have them in bed early actually worked. We redboxed Marmaduke and the kids were knocked out by like 8 oclock!
On Sunday the kids were up by 8, ready to roll! They wanted to ride their scooters around the block while I walked Doogle but then were feeling sorry for their own dog so asked me if I would walk both dogs. Yeah- trying to drag a spazzy little puppy and a large blind dog probably looked as silly as I felt, but somehow we managed.




We are at the local neighborhood park when Grandma showed up in the early evening Sunday. We all walked into the house together to discover that the diabetic dog (which I also got to give shots to) had eaten an entire plate of leftover cupcakes that were brought home from bbq. . . whoops! No worries. . . grandma says it happens all the time and that's probably why he is diabetic to begin with.
It was a pretty fun weekend if I do say so myself. The kids were actually really good and got along with each other so well. Poor little Doogle was such a little sport too. He had a blast, but I got many pleading stares as the kids constantly hoisted him up to carry him away, or send him down a slide.
Usually in the car, Doogle is always attempting to ride on my lap. Today however, on our ride home, he chose to go to the very back of the car and sit on top of all the stuff that I had to drag with me just for our one overnight stay. He looked so silly back there so I (safely) snapped a picture of him.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

awww, they are cute! I LOVE what they picked at color me mine - too funny. Something my kids would totally try . . . I want the giant glass toy story woody! too funny

Jim and Lee said...

Looks like someone figured how to get Doogle to poop out!

Terry and Gail said...

What a nice thing to do for the parents and the kids... yeah, whenever I leave our dog, Chouis, at Michelle's house with her dog and three kids and all the neighbor kids, Chouis comes home and is pooped out for a week. But he is very well behaved for that tired week and ready to be calm. But after a month or so he is ready for another fun filled time at Michelle's. Kids are good for dogs because they tire dogs out and the dogs feel a bit protective so they think in a way they are helping with the whole event. I love the picture of Doogle in the back of the car looking like he is saying, "Okay, so I am done with this constant party thing. I want to go home and eat a pen and make sure your bed spread is a new color". Great job, Shawna. Love Aunt Gail