Sunday, June 29, 2008

An Exciting Night


So on Thursday night at about 1:45 (ok- I guess it was officially friday morning) I was abruptly awaken from my sweet slumbers from the squealing sound of the smoke alarm going off.  I laid there a minute hoping it would stop, and then realized it probably be best that I get up.  So I stumbled out of my room at about the same time my other three roommates came out of their rooms as well.  We wandered around for a few minutes not really sure what to do. . . there was no smoke, there was no fire, so what in the world was going on??  Well- if you take a peak at the alarm a little closer, you will discover that not only is it a smoke alarm, but it is a carbon monoxide alarm as well- and that my friends, is what was causing this terrible noise.  By the button on the alarm to turn it off is written "open windows and call 911"  Well- I dont know about you, but it seemed a little drastic to call 911, it just didnt feel like a real "emergency" so rather, my brave roommate called our night time apartment manager.  He crankily gave her the number of the gas company who told us that they would come over "shortly."  In the hour it took the gas man to finally come over, we had opened our windows, clowned around on the balcony a bit, and took the prime opportunity for, you guessed it, Kodak moment!!  I was utterly shocked when my roommates actually agreed to it considering how we were looking right about then!  Lindsey- my silly, cranky with no sleep roommate, got fed up with waiting for the gas man and went back to bed, shutting her door she mumbled, "wake me if he tells us we are dying."  Well the gas man eventually showed, he wandered around with his loud obnoxious machine for a while, and eventually found most of the gas in our water heater room, and in Lindsey's room, who had gone back to bed, shut the door, and had NOT opened her window.  I didnt really understand what the whole problem was, something about the water heater, and the air conditioner.  "go to bed without the air on, without the water heater on, keep your windows open, and you will be fine.  Contact your manager tomorrow and get them over here to check this out" were our instructions from him.  Now, three days later, we are still without warm water.  They are checking out the apartment Monday to see if they can figure out what's wrong, and meanwhile, we get to pack up a backpack and walk across the parking lot to an extra apartment so we can shower.  I guess it beats cold showers!  

No comments: