Monday, September 20, 2010

Reviving my running days. . .

So I'm not really sure where to actually start this story from. . . Back in the day, when I first got Doogle, I don't know if I mentioned this but he went through several names before one was actually settled on. He was picked up from the pet store with the name Nike, because I wanted him to be my little running buddy. I did drag him running a few times with me. . . poor little puppy. . . and eventually the running routine (which really never made it to routine) became the past, as well as obviously his first name.

These past few weeks have been somewhat stressful at work. I love my new little class, they are great, but I have had issues in other ways than the kids. I have been pretty moody, and not very perky and just not really myself.
Meanwhile, my family has started a new running regimate at home, with Bonnie being the pack leader. She is whipping everyone in shape, including pregnant Molly who was there on vacation for a week. Anywho, the daily runs they have began with are more like cycles, a few minutes of running, a few minutes of walking. . . to help out those non runners in the family.
And as they all continue onto this new fitness plan for themselves, I am back here. . . my new cranky self. I realized that something needs to be done. Not only to help my lazy self, but to help my poor attitude as well. How best to feel better about oneself then to exercise right?

So how do all these random stories collide? Back in the day, I attempted to make Doogle my running buddy by dragging him on these runs, when he was just a small little non runner puppy. Now little Doogle has grown up and can probably be a better runner, if he was just trained a bit. If the non runners of the family can learn to run doing run/walk cycles. . . so can a puppy right? So today we went on our first run/walk cycle. . . just Doogle and I.

He was pretty excited at first. . . he loved the running bit. But after just a few short minutes he had tuckered himself out and slowed down a bit. The walking definitely revived him though and he was ready to run on our next cycle. We didn't do this a ton, maybe 4 or 5 times, but by the end of our run, the puppy was still keeping up. Which made me pretty happy.

So Doogle is now my official new running buddy once again. . . the title is back, wonder if the old name should come back with it??

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

YEAH!!! I love that you have a partner. . . .do you carry water for him like I do for my little trainees? Happy running little NIKE :)

Randi said...

Thanks for inspiring me I am trying to get back into running too. I am doing a mud run like you did last year on saturday (6.2) miles and haven't trained a bit.

Terry and Gail said...

I am the biggest fan of exercise. When I don't exercise too many days in a row, I definitely fall into a grumpy and groggy funk. Usually I do a 3 mile walk by myself and then when I get home, I take my dog for about a mile walk- 30 minutes. He gets too tired when he goes the whole four miles now (he is older and has to be on medication for seizures- so it makes him a little too tired). Anyway, whenever I will always tell people that if they want to feel happier and more energetic, they got to exert some energy and you can help yourself, too, if you make some cookies for a neighbor with kids. Loads of love, Aunt Gail