Saturday, December 11, 2010

S. . . urprise!!

The other night there was a Christmas dinner that I skipped going to in fear of there being nothing served that started with the letter G. I faced a rather similar problem knowing my work Christmas dinner party was coming up this Friday night and nothing was going to be on the menu that started with the letter k. . . cuz seriously. . . what even starts with k?? I was feeling a bit bummed out because there seems to be so many once -a- year holiday festivities going on, and it felt dumb to skip them all because of something random like this.
I realize that there is a reason we have been calling this a "challenge," but I also was thinking maybe we were just plain unwise to choose to do this in the month of December. A lot of things can be worked around. . . friends we are going out with can be very accommodating, but a meal at a restaurant with a prearranged dinner selection is far from being accommodating. . .

So Bon made a deal with me. Basically I was allowed to switch my entire Friday to a different letter that we have yet to "eat," and do letter "K," on that letter's day instead. Seemed like a fair trade. I looked over the menu and chose to do "P" instead. There were two selections that started with P. So I went to the store and bought all my "P" foods. I was talking to Molly the night before however and realized that choosing a letter might still be hard because who knew what would really be served with each of these meals. So instead, she came up with the idea to do "S," because the location of the party was at a fancy schmancy placed called Sedonas. This way, I can just say that I had "Sedonas" for dinner.

This worked for me, but unfortunately I didn't have many "S" foods in the house. So I made a quick trip to the store in the morning (I know- shocker) and this is how my day went.

Sandwich for breakfast
Sandwich for lunch (different kinds of course!)
Sugar Snap Peas, Skittles and snickerdoodles for snacks
and Sedonas salad, skewed chicken and steak, and spaghetti (a much fancier version) for dinner

I must say I am rather glad I went with the letter S. It was a buffet style meal, and one of the "P" foods ended up not being served, so I would just have been eating a whole lot of Pasta!

This upcoming week is the last week of work before Christmas break (yay!) and there are 3 different days (that I know of so far), that someone is feeding our staff. Throw in class Christmas party next Friday and all sorts of wonderful presents and treats coming to me from the little kiddos. . . let's just say this is probably going to be a pretty rough week. . . wish me luck!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Good thinking to switch and go with the S. Sounded like you had a good meal hopefully to go with the Christmas Party. Love Debi

Terry and Gail said...

Some of the stuff the kids give you, you can save until after the diet is over. At the events that might not have food you can eat, then I suggest you bring something in your ppursue or thing of a good adjective that will start with the day's letter and make sure it can fit in front of the food being served. I know that is kind of lame, but at least you can stay with the diet. Earlier in the day, be real strict about following the diet- at the events, improvise a little. Love, Aunt Gail